Wednesday 3 December 2014

Going crazy?

I just experienced something out of a movie... 

I am currently visiting my mum at her home in Tasmania, where she has two cats: a black cat, Milo, and a white and ginger cat, Honey.  Honey loves people, but hates other cats (she is the runaway you may have read about on mum's facebook).  Milo usually sleeps on the end of mum's bed, and is very skittish around new people (which includes me, since it's been almost 5 years since I was living at home).
Today I just went downstairs to look at the little room there, when I saw a black cat.  The cat was immediately skittish and ran away a little upon my entry, but stopped to look at me. Mum has mentioned Milo has a look-alike in the neighbourhood called "Yugi" who sometimes ventures into the house, so I wasn't entirely sure if it was Milo or not (especially since she already looks like a strange giant mutant compared to my Melbourne housemate, Tinkerbell the little cat).

I call out to the cat, but it starts to run away.  Well, Milo's been running away from me already, so that's no clue.  I notice it is wearing a collar, which is a good sign, but I'm sure not sure if it's Milo...her face looks just a little different...  After pausing a few more times along the way the cat finally runs out the door into the garage.  I decide to follow and step through the doorway into the garage when, to my surprise, I'm suddenly looking at TWO black cats of equal size, both looking guiltily over their shoulders as they decide whether or not to run away.  "Ooooh," I say, "I see how it is!! A secret romantic rendezvous?"  I shake my head.

I look over to the garage door, and noticing that it is closed I realise that one of these cats is not ours and is therefore locked in.  I go and open the door a little off the ground.  "Okay, well...whichever one of you doesn't belong, out you go!" A few moments later the cat wearing the collar emerges from behind the car, heading for the gap under the roller-door.  "So you're not Milo?" I ask.  But then emerges the other black cat, not with a collar, which meows and doesn't sound like Milo.  "Wait, you're the one who's not Milo!" Well they both head out the door, so I figure either way they can both go outside, and shut the garage door behind them.

I had just headed back upstairs moments later, when in the hallway black cat emerges from mum's room.  This must be the real Milo!  "Waaaaait a minute....if you're in here, then...."  I run to the front window to look out and sure enough, there are two black cats leisurely lying on the driveway.  "That means....three? There are three identical black cats in this neighbourhood?"

This is usually the part in the movie where the person tears their hair out, laugh giddily, then run off to the funny farm.

I opted to shut the back door to stop Milo from running out and joining them, before I got too confused again!

1 comment: